Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Adam's Education
So Adam had an IEP (individual educational plan) yesterday, with the current team of preschool educators working with him and the transitional kindergarten team for next year. I was so frustrated listening to the speech pathologist talk about what he is and isn't able to do. She told me that I should only try teaching him the sounds of the letters without attaching them to the letters themselves. I was surprised to hear that he wasn't "capable" of learning it the other way since I know that he could sound out the letters. So this morning I sat down with him and some alphabet flash cards. He only struggled with about 5 letters and the majority of the problem is the the speech problem. He really struggles to make some sounds correctly. So not only could he identify the letter itself, but also the sound of the letter, and he could tell me a word that began with the sound. *sigh* So I'm going to have a talk with the new team, since I'm already inclined to be impressed with them, just by their interaction with him yesterday. I have never felt really impressed by the team working with Adam now, but I can't deny that he has made amazing progress. I'm also concerned with the fact that his teachers now want him to be evaluated for ADHD. I know that he's a busy child, no one knows that fact better, but all of the kids have been that way. I'm wondering if they aren't a little prejudiced. The good news is that even though he is a busy kid, he isn't a behavior problem. One thing I did have to point out to them is that when Adam is trying to be funny, he'll intentionally answer questions wrong. The speech therapist's answer to that was, "Well, he wouldn't do that away from home." I couldn't believe she would say that. Why would she think that that behavior would be restricted to home? He's going to have a wonderful time in school, especially during testing time. *voice dripping with sarcasm*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment